Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tension VS. Problems

     This spring I had the opportunity to visit a particular pastor that I really enjoy listening to.  His church was holding seminars and I attended one where the speaker taught us the difference between tensions and problems.
     A tension in our lives, or ministries in this case, is a good thing.  He reminded us that tension is what keeps us safe while we are rock climbing.  Tension is what make a guitar or violin sound beautiful when the tension is managed just right. Tension can make us better when we are questioned about what we're doing and why we're doing it.  Tension helps us grow, helps us mature and gives us a clearer picture on what we need to 'tighten' up on and loosen up on. (think of the guitar)
     Then we discussed problems.  A problem is something that needs to be solved.  Not ignored, not fought, just solved.  Sometimes it's difficult and doesn't make us happy but we need to get on top of it right away so that things don't get further out of control.

     As the summer roles on and I continue to work my full time job as well as try to launch a new church in Sioux Falls I find myself looking at my obstacles and weighing them to see if they're problems or tensions.  It helps to know that some things are always just going to be there and can not be fixed - they just need to be managed.  One of the best ways of managing tensions is to bring them before the Lord daily and seek His guidance so that we don't turn them into problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment